Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: firearms

William Maffei <william_maffei@...>

For the record... I certainly did not want to start a debate about this. I was looking for the exact responses that I received and really appreciate the input. Obviously there are many strategies going through my head to keep my crew, myself and my boat safe and this was simply a thought. I am still in the air about what to do personally. I get the complication a firearm might create but on the other side there's the "what if" in the back of my head. Thanks for the thoughts and feel free to keep them coming.
Bill M
SM #195
It's all Good

On Sep 25, 2015, 5:31:07 AM, Peter Forbes ppsforbes@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Us Brits don’t seem to carry guns on the whole and the natural inclination is to moor up near a USA registered boat for safety as US guys are always armed!!

Peter
Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
Travelling West in Mediterranean

On 25 Sep 2015, at 09:03, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I think Dennis is absolutely correct, and I agree with him. I think Alan is correct also about Cruisers Forum, but...

We had a friend murdered in 2009 in Venezuela while anchored in daylight by 3 guys in a small boat. The bad guys came along side and asked for water. When our friend was handing them water, he was shot and killed. The other guy on the boat grabbed his shotgun and began firing. He was shot in the leg. The two wives were not shot.

Without the shotgun and the will and skill to use it, things would have been different.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Dennis Johns sbmesasailor@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'm not sure which American football coach said it about forward passes but I think it applies to firearms on board as well, "Three things can happen and two of them are bad."

1) You can be shot.
2) You can shoot someone else.
3) You will dissuade the intruder.

1) There are essentially two types of intruders: The professional criminal or the criminal of advantage. The professional criminal will not only have superior weaponry than you, they will not hesitate to use it -you will be shot. The criminal of advantage (a punk who wants your dinghy motor floating off your stern) may or may not be armed but if he is and is startled by your appearance or 'warning shot' -you may be shot.

2) Let's say you are comfortable with guns and won't hesitate to use one (this makes up less than 1% of the population of the world...) and you successfully defend yourself and your possessions by shooting someone. The trouble you are now in with the local authorities can be the worst experience you ever had. You've shot a citizen (be they a criminal or not) and the local authorities have to respond appropriately in defense of their citizens regardless of the situation. In many countries you will probably be thrown in jail until things are sorted out -hopefully in your favor. In addition, if you didn't report you had a firearm on board, you will be in heap of manure to begin with. Self-defense is not an easy thing to prove and at best you may end up paying a significant fine to the family of the injured/killed.

3) Your warning shot or waving the gun about scares the intruder away. If the intruder was intimidated by that, perhaps just showing up on deck would have produced the same result.

When you consider how many cruisers are out there on the water and the number of attacks that are reported annually (and factor in the lack of common sense that may apply to many of the attacks), to me, the chance of ever needing to defend myself/possessions are too minimal to consider the risks of a fi rearm on board.

We've been circumnavigating for five years and the only crime we've witnessed was in San Francisco when a woman had her purse stolen. We had a bicycle stolen in Barcelona this year but that was a common sense lapse on our part. Granted we freighted our boat from Thailand to Turkey, bypassing the Somalia pirates but we believe that was a common sense win. Finally,most firearms are finely-crafted machinery which will not be happy in the marine environment. If you keep one on board, plan on another regular maintenance task of cleaning and oiling, because you certainly won't want it to malfunction the one time you wish to use it.

Dennis Johns
sv Libertad
Aguadulce, Spain