Re: engine replacement

dernehl75050 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., davidlambertsen <no_reply@y...> wrote:
I have a 1989 Maramu with a Perkins Prima 60 diesel engine. Has
anyone replaced this engine in an Amel? Can you suggest a
replacement engine? Any advice for me with this project? Any
lessons learned or regrets? Should I just rebuild the Prima 60?

Merci beaucoup a tout.

David Lambertsen
s/v Have Fun!
Maramu #258
I also had a perkins prima on my 1992 SM . The engine had a overheating

problem that I could not correct. We came to the conclusion that the
engine had a design problem. I understand that it was first created as
a truck engine then modified for marine use with a turbo charger. I
also understand that it is no longer in production---non of this made
me feel good about investing more in this engine. I installed a
westerbeke #82BFOUR some months ago with great success. As the boat is
normally in U.S. waters parts are easy to locate.
best
Jim Dernehl