Re: Maramu #105 - Cerulean Needing Davit Advice

Dave_Benjamin

The stern of a Maramu is a pretty narrow spot to mount davits. I took a set of Kato davits in trade for a windvane install with the idea of using them. Ultimately I just sold them and continued to use a halyard to get the dinghy off and on the boat. I think that's the way the Cap'n intended as well.

Inflatables suck IMHO. If I were in the market for a dinghy I'd be calling you today to buy that beautiful nesting dinghy of yours. You could add some inflatable sponsons to that to make it a bit more stable for you landlubber sailing guests. Or maybe add a flip down swim platform to the transom to make it easier to get on and off the dinghy. Are you bent on having a RIB? You could easily store a dinghy on top of the aft cabin. Some of the ones with the inflatable bottoms handle okay. We carried a Porta-Bote and an old Avon inflatable. The inflatable stored in the lazarette when on a passage. When anchored it lived on top of the aft cabin. I like having two dinghies so one is a decoy and gives people the impression that we are aboard the boat. Boats that look occupied are less likely to be burglarized.