Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Nat Bossett

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 06:34:41AM -0700, magick.crow@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] wrote:
I have been thinking about making an electric only Amel. I am just
wondering what you guys think of this idea.
My Maramu now has 70hp (originally 60 I think). Judging from a for-sale
ad, the new 64's are in the 150 hp range so that gives us a ballpark.

If I wanted to be able to enter somewhere such as my home port of San
Francisco against the tide, I'd want to be able to steam at a good speed
for several hours at a bare minimum.

I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised if you work out the AH
requirements for the size of your battery bank even if you are happy with
scaled back max power.

Your comment about waiting for the sun seems to indicate that you're
thinking about a pure solar system, not just removing the diesel while
keeping a big genset.

In that case:

On a pure electrical system, even pulling a few hundred feet of anchor
chain in against current with the windlass and electric motor would be a
relatively big A-H requirement to count on pulling out of the batteries
when you really need to, not just when the sun has been shining for a
while.

-Nathan

Maramu #29