Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Mark Erdos

If you are going to reinvent it, why not invent one that runs off salt water? J

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Norfolk VA.

Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 5:54 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Thank you Mr. Bossett for your perspective! I am not an engineer although I am good at math and worked as a programmer, I am working my way through the solution. Any help anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

From the super maramu 2000 user's manual:

The auxiliary engine is a YANMAR 4JH3-TE (44 kW at 2500 rpm – 55 kW at 3500 rpm).

The most efficient motoring's range is situated between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

Fuel tank: 160 gallons

Range? Not to sure about this.

Bow thrusters 10 hp.

The Tesla car puts out 259 hp front and 503 hp rear, so it seems to me that 60 should be quite doable, even 150 should be possible. The question is how long can it sustain that power output and how long will it take to recharge. The car has a 90 kWh battery in the top model and a range of about 268 miles or 426 km and 713 lb-ft motor torque. This seems to be about 4 hours of driving time. Not enough to even get through a whole night. Of course ships can easily carry much bigger batteries.

I am also thinking that a system for a ship would not need the instant torque and quick bursts of speed that car needs. A slow endurance system is the best thing. This  would likely mean a big savings in power usage under way.

So I was assuming having a good solar panel system. The Delos, a super maramu has a 600 watt system. Seem that it would not be hard to double that so we could say 1200 watts at full sun. This does not even come close to being enough to run the 60 hp motors so it must come from the batteries and this means that changing times will be needed and this will be while under sail or at port.

I was considering if it is possible to dump the diesel generator or not. Ideally I would do without it.

I am still in the dreaming phase, the brainstorming phase. Collecting the facts and finding the limits.

I am wondering how many hours under engine power is normal and how much sun time there is in between motoring times?

Thanks again for your input.

--

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.