Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Nat Bossett

To answer the main question, this would be a tinkerer thing to do and
likely to gut the resale value of the boat. That said, let's look at it
for your own needs.

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:53:30PM +0200, Knapp magick.crow@gmail.com [amelyachtowners] wrote:
From the super maramu 2000 user's manual:
The auxiliary engine is a YANMAR 4JH3-TE (44 kW at 2500 rpm ??? 55 kW at 3500
rpm).
The most efficient motoring's range is situated between 1500 and 2500 rpm.
How fast does a SM2000 go through the water at 1500 RPM? At 2500 RPM?

Bow thrusters 10 hp.
You don't use it much; this isn't the worry.

The Tesla car puts out 259 hp front and 503 hp rear, so it seems to me that
60 should be quite doable, even 150 should be possible. The question is how
long can it sustain that power output and how long will it take to
recharge.
The second sentence is getting to the importantn part: A high end Tesla
may put out hundreds of horsepower when you slam the pedal down, but it
only takes a few seconds to get up to speed.

The continual draw running down the highway is much, much less.

The marine diesel, on the other hand, is going to need to put out a good
fraction of its peak power for the whole trip.

So I was assuming having a good solar panel system. The Delos, a super
maramu has a 600 watt system. Seem that it would not be hard to double that
so we could say 1200 watts at full sun.
1200 watts is about 1.6HP.

I was considering if it is possible to dump the diesel generator or not.
Ideally I would do without it.
If you want to go through the exercise, let's get the answers to how fast
you go at 1500 and 2500 RPM. We can then back-of-a-napkin some numbers to
see what battery capacities are required to let you fight current entering
and exiting harbors, etc.

I am wondering how many hours under engine power is normal and how much sun
time there is in between motoring times?
Depends on the cruising pattern, and also on what other devices are
pulling power. I'm guessing that most Amel owners make significant use of
the autopilot at least and possibly things like watermakers.

-Nathan

Maramu #29