Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Douglas E Knapp, Advanced Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine Expert

I suggest that before you absolutely ruin an Amel Super Maramu that you arrange a séance with Henri Amel and ask him why he did make an electric Amel when he was alive. I would also ask him if he would mind if someone takes one of the finest cruising yachts ever produced and bastardize it.

If Henri says that he supports your electrification scheme, I happen to know where the world's most mistreated Super Maramu is located. I think it needs a new C drive, a new motor, a new generator, a new bow thruster, new interior, new rigging, standing and running, and new sails. Although the asking price is $319,000, when the owner finally realizes what he has, or the bank repossesses it, it could be the boat that you are looking for.

Any electrifying conditions other than above would be nuts!

Good luck, and I suggest a premium membership with Cruiser's Forum where you will get much better input on your ideas. There are some real experts there.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse, Admiral (Hon) Texas Navy
Yacht BeBe, SM #387, Currently Gibraltar
+1832-380-4970 Global Voice Mail
+34 600 659 769 Spain Mobile

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Nathan Bossett nbossett@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

To answer the main question, this would be a tinkerer thing to do and
likely to gut the resale value of the boat. That said, let's look at it
for your own needs.

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 11:53:30PM +0200, Knapp magick.crow@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:
> From the super maramu 2000 user's manual:
> The auxiliary engine is a YANMAR 4JH3-TE (44 kW at 2500 rpm ??? 55 kW at 3500
> rpm).
> The most efficient motoring's range is situated between 1500 and 2500 rpm.

How fast does a SM2000 go through the water at 1500 RPM? At 2500 RPM?

> Bow thrusters 10 hp.

You don't use it much; this isn't the worry.

> The Tesla car puts out 259 hp front and 503 hp rear, so it seems to me that
> 60 should be quite doable, even 150 should be possible. The question is how
> long can it sustain that power output and how long will it take to
> recharge.

The second sentence is getting to the importantn part: A high end Tesla
may put out hundreds of horsepower when you slam the pedal down, but it
only takes a few seconds to get up to speed.

The continual draw running down the highway is much, much less.

The marine diesel, on the other hand, is going to need to put out a good
fraction of its peak power for the whole trip.

> So I was assuming having a good solar panel system. The Delos, a super
> maramu has a 600 watt system. Seem that it would not be hard to double that
> so we could say 1200 watts at full sun.

1200 watts is about 1.6HP.

> I was considering if it is possible to dump the diesel generator or not.
> Ideally I would do without it.

If you want to go through the exercise, let's get the answers to how fast
you go at 1500 and 2500 RPM. We can then back-of-a-napkin some numbers to
see what battery capacities are required to let you fight current entering
and exiting harbors, etc.

> I am wondering how many hours under engine power is normal and how much sun
> time there is in between motoring times?

Depends on the cruising pattern, and also on what other devices are
pulling power. I'm guessing that most Amel owners make significant use of
the autopilot at least and possibly things like watermakers.

-Nathan

Maramu #29