Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Douglas E Knapp DEK

The PDF was a very good read. I would like to know what year it was written. Looks like about 2012. It is interesting that it cost them 21,000 to convert and they are saving about 2,100 a year in fuel costs. They have a bit less power (Their choice) but a quieter sail. Seems that weight was the same but they used lead batteries. Lead batteries weighing 128 lbs. Lithium would weigh about 30 each so the total would be 180 lbs vs their 768 but at perhaps 3 times the cost. I wonder what speed improvement they would get with a ship being 500 lbs lighter, not much I would think.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There is a high end solution described at http://www.torqeedo.com/en/products/hybrid-drives - not sure if this really exists or is just marketing but I thought it was quite interesting as it doesn’t get rid of reliance on diesel but might potentially extend range. I suspect it is a very expensive solution though.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France