Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] holding tank copper tube SM

john martin <symoondog@...>

Mike, To eliminate future problems with buildup of the hard crystal in the line,hang the shower nozzel on the curtain hanger next to the toilet. When you flush(,the right toggle only on the black switch), spray the fresh water in the toilet and you r problem will be over. Only use the red button ( salt water in and flush ) If you are low on water. John
Moondog sm248

From: "Mike Ondra" <mondra@ptd.net>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] holding tank copper tube SM
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 02:45:18 -0000

After losing our ability to pump out the toilet we discovered the
copper intake tube at the bottom of the holding tank was 3/4 blocked
by a hard crystaline substance deposited on the wall of the pipe.
This could be chipped away with a straight screw driver to the extent
that the screw driver could be leveraged up the pipe (maybe half way)
which seems to extend to near the top of the tank.

This boat has been in service 6 years, mostly in the Caribbean, with
sea water flush. Any ideas of what causes the buildup of such deposits
(combination of copper, salts, and ammonia from urine?)or experience
relative to its removal?

Mike
S/Y Aletes SM#240