Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Stray current

David Pawley

You could try searching for information about "Earth Lamps" in Marine Electrical literature, Its only a small step then to adapt to measure Meg ohms (less than 1 Meg Ohm is hot). Earth leakage detection equipment are found on every vessel subject to classification society rules. These are used on every separate circuit (all AC and DC).
It would not be difficult to create a earth lamp circuit that would be useful in your search for a faulty circuit. Many times I have searched for faulty circuits in ships (as Marine Engineer) usual suspects are Lighting circuits that get wet by Salt water, heating elements especially in galley ranges that get fresh water washed by enthusiastic cooks, also found in domestic fridge. Searching is done by isolating circuits one at a time until you see the fault disappear.
I don't have my old books here.

On 18 October 2015 at 02:34, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have been searching internet for devices who measure stray current, but not been able to find any device. I know they exist as we have rented aluminium boats where they are standard equipment aboard.

I suspect we have stray current, and I would welcome any idea how to find out and solve the issue and what device to install to secure that if it occur again we will find it swiftly.

Paul on S/Y Kerpa SM#259