Tamango 2
SM 16

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.10.2015 um 17:18 schrieb "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

I have a shaft driven alternator on my SM ,I disconnected it when I installed three 140 watt Kyrocera solar panels and a wind gen., before we sailed to the Caribbean . I felt I would not need it, and I did not, and did not want the drag . In six months ,I do not remember ever starting the genset  to charge the batteries , only to run the watermaker or washing machine. We had one fridge one freezer lights ,tv. ,etc. and never did the batteries need charging . The solar panels produced far more power than the wind generator ,although at night it did contribute some amps.
Pat SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sun, Oct 11, 2015 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] hydro generator

We crossed the Atlantic in January. The battery bank was 100% when we started and remained 100% until we got to Barbados, all due to Henri fitting a prop shaft alternator on the Santorin. But when we anchor we rely on our solar panels to keep the fridge running.
I would agree that solar us the way to go unless your boat already has a water powered generation system.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96