Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

eric freedman

Bill Agreed

Eric GG, CG, CGA, PHD

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2015 7:09 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Would you buy all electric no diesel Amel?

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.

This group was founded by its owner for "owners of yachts built by Chantiers Amel in La Rochelle." Which model Amel do you own?

Also, this group specifically asks that members "...refrain from broadcasting your professional activity." I notice that you prefer to sign your postings with Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc. which stands for "Advanced Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine."  It appears that you are posting in the Amel Group in order to find "Advanced Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine" patients. Either that, or as your Subject Line states, you want to know if we would buy an electric Amel.

While we all dream, I do not think that your dreams interest most of us, and they have absolutely nothing to do with Amel Yachts. There are 238 opinions on the subject that you inquire about on Cruisers Forum. I earlier suggested that you pose your question there because there are many resident experts on CF. For a link to your question, go here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/electrical-propulsion-vs-diesel-propulsion-76555.html

I am simply a member of this group, but I am asking the owner/moderator to review your application.

Bill

BeBe #387

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Knapp magick.crow@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

So, first of all, I am not going to kill (not that swapping out a motor is killing it anyway) a wonderful Amel ship without a gaining a big advantage. At this point it is an interesting thought experiment only.

It is true that oil has a high energy density but it can also be quite hard to get at some ports and costs a lot at others. We are often looking at over 1000$ just to tank up. It also runs out as we don't have huge tanks on the ship.

Mr. Bill Rouse, I think he might have made one had the tech been good enough during his life but it was not. It is only in the last few years that motors, batteries and solar panels have improved enough to even be considered. I feel that he would have build one, if it improved the capabilities of his design.

I can't make a champagne maker but how about a bubbly water maker and an alcohol still? Or carbonated water and wine? Would that do?

The basics of the idea are simple loose the diesel engine, tank (or just reduce it for a hybrid design) and lead batteries and add the solar panels, the motor and light battery. It is not like you are doing any real damage to the ship. It could all be put back without to much work. Might need to find some low wattage appliances or lose others.

--

Douglas E Knapp, MSAOM, LAc.