Awnings and watercatchers

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

As we are in the Med and it hardly ever rains we have made up sunscreens using cheap polythene garden netting as used in nurseries to keeep the sun off the plants. It is easily made up and rolls up to nearly nothing when compared with canvas.However when we sailed from the Med to Australia via Panama on our last boat Anne made a fairly long canvas awnig to cover thearea from the mast to the back of the midships cockpit. It was suspended on the centreline and the upper part sloped at about 30 degrees and the side parts at about 80 degrees. Anne then sewed a strip of cavas,doubled over and perhaps an inch and a half wide,
running from the highends of the side section to meet at the bottom in the area of the water tank filler. This acted as a gutter and at the bottom of it we inserted a plastic through hull fitting to take the hose to connect it to the tank filler.
It worked perfectly and met nearly all our needs for some ten years.Also we did not need a TDS meter....in fact we had never heard of them!! We did however have a 12 volt watermaker with an output of about 12 litres p.h.as a back-up. It was very expensive because the parts were very fiddly and was a nono.
Cater Marine in Whangerei in NZ sold a very simple and compact Japanese watermaker for a fraction of the cost of the expensive American one.It consisted of a GRP box containing a 12 or 24 volt motor belt driving a single cylinder HP pump and of course a membrane and pressure meter. My 12 volt one produced about 22/25 ltrs ph using about 20 amps (whilst the engine was running). It never gave any trouble which is just as well as Caters were the only known source for spares.

Best wishes, Anne and John, SM 319