Heads,sheets and gangplank suspenders

Anne and John Hollamby <hollamby@...>

The build up in the plumbing is common in urinals and in the Uk plumbers use hydrochloric acid which is known as muriatic acid in the US, to disolve it Poisionous fumes are released and can damage lungs! I was aware of the problem because a friend worked on an old Swan charter boat where the pipes were so blocked that toilet paper could not be flushed through. So on my last boat I fitted one of those pneumatic push switches which are used on staircases lighting in converted houses and set it for 10 seconds in the guest head as guests could not understand the need to make sure that everything is flushed out of the system. I have checked and the holding tank on my boat takes 24 10 second flushes to start overflowing.
The genoa and main sheets are, in my opinion, oversized, and also do not fit easily into the self-tailing devices.I checked the recommendations of Marlow Ropes UK. The Super Maramu genny is 65 sq mtrs and the main 35 sq mtrs. Marlows recommend 14 mm for a and genoa up to 50 sq mtrs and 12 mm for a main up to 32 sq mtrs or 14 mm for up to 50 sq mtrs. based on thir 16 plait matt and double braid. We have been using 12 mm line for the main sheet for a couple of years and have just changed to 14 mm double braid for the genoa sheets. Both are much easier to handle and jam easily into the self tailers.
Puzzled by the words Dyneema and Spectra I am told by Marlow that Dyneema is a Dutch product and so far as I can make out Spectra is the same thing, preumably made somewhere else.Dyneema comes in two qualities the stronger one being called D2 or Dyneema SK75 by Marlow and improved Dyneema by the big European mail order house Compass. I suspect that my new mainsheet is dyneema but it is nearly impossible to find out in a Greek chandlery.These lines are all colour coded in some way but the code is seemingly secret.
My new mainsheet, Liros, 16 braid, made and bought in Greece, was to be 2x19 metres long plus 4 mtrs so that it would be longer when using the poles. The chandlery in Crete sells rope by the kilo and they roughly measured 42mtrs which weighed nearly 5 kilos and cost 44 euros or about £30. When measured on board it was 43.5mtrs and the equivalent cost of the same rope from Compass would be about £112 or if Marlow rope was bought in Malta about £300!
We have altered our passurelle by fixing a piece of teak about 5cms x 2 cms x450cms underneath the end secured with saddle clips on tape insulation and with a U bolt at each end. There is a caster wheel at each end which have to be replaced eery couple of years. We have a double line with a wooden spacer about 70 cms long which we hook up to the halyard on the mizzen spreader to suspend the end of the passurelle. We saw a big super expensive yacht last year with a passurelle which was suspended on a halyard from the top of the mast and which did not sag or spring back up when used by the burly crew so we have changed the halyard to 8mm and the trapeze with 6mm dyneema and nearly completely eliminated bounce. I assume that the super yacht must have been using an even more exotic line such as Nomex or Aramid.

Greetings from Southern Crete, Anne and John, SM 319