Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Pole takedown

karkauai

Hi Ian,
Yes, the pole can come back vigorously.  After it's at 45degrees aft of straight out, you have no control of it with the forward stay (the blue line).

I often single-hand, and I first lower the topping lift until the end of the pole is a little below waist height.  Then I stand about 4-5 feet behind the pole and ease the fore stay, ready to catch the pole as soon I can reach it.  That way I can start slowing it down before it gets moving so fast.  When I get control, I walk it back and hook it in the rail.

With two people, same thing, but I lower it to only chest or abdominal height (I think there's less chance of the boat rolling and catching the tip of the pole in the water), and have the second crew ready by the dodger.  I still slow it down from a few feet behind the pole as I ease the blue line.

Hope that helps.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Nov 1, 2015, at 5:17 AM, francesringley@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Looking for advice on how to takedown the poles, especially in 15+ knot winds. I am not yet ready to fly the ballooner so I use the pole when sailing wing-on-wing. However, on a couple of occasions during takedown, the pole has rapidly and dangerously sprung aftward. I usually first ensure that the pole is perpendicular, the foreguy is tight and then begin to ease pressure by releasing the jib sheet. But I am still experiencing challenges. Any guidance for next?

Ian Townsend
SM153
Loca Lola II