Chain Counter Problem

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

I have been having an intermittent problem with my chain counter readout.
Suddenly it stops working, usually after the boat has been hosed down with
fresh water. Given a day in the sun, it works normally again. I have checked
the wiring and it is completely dry and corrosion free, and professionally
sealed.

However, on the left side of the black coloured sensor that is attached to
the windlass, there are two uncovered holes, which I suspect may be where
water is getting in and causing the trouble. Can anyone tell me whether
these holes are covered over on their boat, maybe with rubber bungs? The
forward hole has an orange plastic surface behind it, but the other hole has
what looks like Alan screws or something similar. Maybe these holes are left
uncovered for a good reason? Any thoughts?

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader