Re: problem with air conditioning

itacknjibe <itacknjibe@...>

Mark,
We had a problem with our AC on shore power while in Trinidad.
Apparently a voltage spike or other marina fault was to blame. It
fried the big capacitor on top of the water circulation pump. We
found a replaccement with the same specs, and it has worked fine
since. (The replacement wasn't the one from Climma, and was about
1/3 the price, or less.)
When the capacitor is blown, the pump doesn't run at all, but check
to see if it is overheating. If so, the box on top of the pump will
be very hot to the touch.
The Climma factory authorised person in Trinidad, by the way, didn't
feel that the frequency should affewct operation.
Good luck,
Bill Nation
Sogno di Mare
SM2K #404

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "markmpitt" <mark_pitt@...>
wrote:

This is the first season that "Sabbatical III" (ASM #419) has been
at
a marina slip in the US. After running the air conditioning for
only
a few hours over the past week, I have been having a problem
with all three units. After running for 2 to 4 minutes, the
AC circuit breaker shuts off. Some units shut
off more quickly than other units. It does not matter
if I am running only one air conditioning unit and nothing
else on the 220 circuit -- the circuit breaker pops off. I can
find
nothing wrong. The cooling water runs smoothly at all times
and the amperage draw does not spike before the circuit
breaker pops. The boat is plugged into 220 V 60 Hz
50 amp shore power. When I draw power from the generator, the same
thing happens. The AC worked great at the dock in June before I
left
on a month-long cruise.

The technician at my marina called the Climma representative
in the US who told him that the problem most likely arose
from using 60 cycle power. He said that these units were meant
to only run at 50 cycles. He suggested that I replace the
start circuits and the capacitors and not run the air conditioning
on
US shore power again.

The Amel owners manual explicitly says that the air conditioning
can be run at 50 or 60 Hz. Shall I go ahead and have the
start circuits and capacitors replaced and not run the unit
on 60 Hz power again, or is the US Climma representative wrong
about the source of the problem and the cure?

Mark Pitt, "Sabbatical III" ASM #419