From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of markmpitt
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 2:26 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] problem with air conditioning

This is the first season that "Sabbatical III" (ASM #419) has been at
a marina slip in the US. After running the air conditioning for only
a few hours over the past week, I have been having a problem
with all three units. After running for 2 to 4 minutes, the
AC circuit breaker shuts off. Some units shut
off more quickly than other units. It does not matter
if I am running only one air conditioning unit and nothing
else on the 220 circuit -- the circuit breaker pops off. I can find
nothing wrong. The cooling water runs smoothly at all times
and the amperage draw does not spike before the circuit
breaker pops. The boat is plugged into 220 V 60 Hz
50 amp shore power. When I draw power from the generator, the same
thing happens. The AC worked great at the dock in June before I left
on a month-long cruise.

The technician at my marina called the Climma representative
in the US who told him that the problem most likely arose
from using 60 cycle power. He said that these units were meant
to only run at 50 cycles. He suggested that I replace the
start circuits and the capacitors and not run the air conditioning on
US shore power again.

The Amel owners manual explicitly says that the air conditioning
can be run at 50 or 60 Hz. Shall I go ahead and have the
start circuits and capacitors replaced and not run the unit
on 60 Hz power again, or is the US Climma representative wrong
about the source of the problem and the cure?

Mark Pitt, "Sabbatical III" ASM #419