Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Marine Electronics - Autopilot

David Pawley

I did something similar, on a 65" Swan, is your Old Rotary drive a "Neco", doesn't really matter much, what it is, but probably a Compound wound DC Motor with lots of terminals. These motors are imensly strong and I would urge you to keep it going with new control head.
I hooked it up quiet easily to a Raymarine Control Head, after checking brushes, commutator and changing gear box oil.
PM me with image of your Actuator and I think I can talk you thru it.

On 19 November 2015 at 09:28, J Wagam jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Let me be more specific. I am wondering where owners mounted the linear drive or if they perhaps found a way to use the existing gear when upgrading. Right now, the autopilot motor is attached to a chain behind the console. It is controlled manually. I actually wouldn't mind finding a way to leave it as a backup.

Plenty of space for all the other items you listed.

Regards
Jay

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:33 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I do not understand your question.

There will be several components to the Raymarine pilot system:
Control head
Course computer
Rotary drive or Linear drive
Rudder reference
Compass

Then there will be other instruments such as depth, wind, chartplotter, radar, etc.

What specifically do you mean when you say, "best way to connect the Raymarine Evolution autopilot?"

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM, jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I am closing on a 1986 Amel Mango and need to replace the electronics. I am planning on buying the new Raymarine eS system and replacing the existing chain driven autopilot. Does anybody have any thoughts on the best way to connect the Raymarine Evolution autopilot?

Thank You
Jay Wagamon