Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Mango Change to Raymarine Autopilot - add a Linear Drive

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Jay,

All of the Raymarine course computers I have seen are NOT "married" to Raymarine drives and these will control almost any electrical or hydraulic drive. So, if I were you I would go to Raymarine and download the installation manual of the new Raymarine system for information and contact your local Raymarine dealer.

You may want to install an A/B switch to switch the connection between the existing chain drive and the linear drive that you plan to install on the quadrant. One trick is that you will likely have to switch polarity of the drive motor for the Linear drive because the physical orientation will be reverse the physical orientation of the existing rotary drive. Raymarine course computers change a drive's change direction by reversing polarity...remember this when installing that linear drive. You can switch polarity at the A/B switch for the motor of the additional drive.

Since the Mango and the Super Maramu have the same hull except for the portion aft of the watertight bulkhead on the forward side of the rear lazzerette, I assume that you may have little problems fitting a Raymarine Type 2 Long Linear Drive 12VDC Drive...assuming that the Mango is its original 12VDC, you will probably have no problems installing a Raymarine 12VDC system and you will likely be able to switch between the two drives.

Apparently David Pawley pawleyd"at"gmail.com has some experience with doing this with a Neco.

Take a look at these photos of a Super Maramu Linear Drive by Raymarine:

Good luck!

And I would not be surprised if a Mango owner hasn't done the same thisng and add more to this thread.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 5:08 AM, David Pawley pawleyd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I did something similar, on a 65" Swan, is your Old Rotary drive a "Neco", doesn't really matter much, what it is, but probably a Compound wound DC Motor with lots of terminals. These motors are imensly strong and I would urge you to keep it going with new control head.
I hooked it up quiet easily to a Raymarine Control Head, after checking brushes, commutator and changing gear box oil.
PM me with image of your Actuator and I think I can talk you thru it.

On 19 November 2015 at 09:28, J Wagam jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Let me be more specific. I am wondering where owners mounted the linear drive or if they perhaps found a way to use the existing gear when upgrading. Right now, the autopilot motor is attached to a chain behind the console. It is controlled manually. I actually wouldn't mind finding a way to leave it as a backup.

Plenty of space for all the other items you listed.

Regards
Jay

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:33 PM, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I do not understand your question.

There will be several components to the Raymarine pilot system:
Control head
Course computer
Rotary drive or Linear drive
Rudder reference
Compass

Then there will be other instruments such as depth, wind, chartplotter, radar, etc.

What specifically do you mean when you say, "best way to connect the Raymarine Evolution autopilot?"

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 7:10 PM, jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello All,

This is my first post here. I am closing on a 1986 Amel Mango and need to replace the electronics. I am planning on buying the new Raymarine eS system and replacing the existing chain driven autopilot. Does anybody have any thoughts on the best way to connect the Raymarine Evolution autopilot?

Thank You
Jay Wagamon