Re: Rigging Question

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Tony:

It would be a good idea to get the owners manual for your boat. It is full of very useful
information. Amel also produced a CD ROM that has the entire SM owners manual in it
and could be shipped to you easily for viewing on you computer. Just Email Amel at their
web site address and or call them and I am sure that you can obtain the manual and/or CD
ROM from them.

The main and mizzen halyards are tensioned in different ways. The mizzen halyard is
taken on the mizzen mast port side winch, then you release port side clutch where the
halyard exits the mast. You tension the halyard, without load on the mizzen sail, until the
tack lacings near the furling gear box are taught. Set the clutch and stow the excess
halyard.

The main halyard requires a looped piece of line, originally supplied by Amel and of the
same color code as the main halyard, that attaches to the track mounted car on the
starboard side of the main mast. Take tension off the car with the looped line taken to
one of the main mast winches (usuallly I use the larger lower one), disengage the locking
pin, tension the halyard until the sail's tack lacings are taught and the locking pin engages
one of the track holes. Again is is important to have the sail unfurled and without load on
it (luffing) while you tension the halyard. This is all easier done than described. Amel
recommends that you ease the halyard tensions when the sails won't be used for some
time.

Even with the halyards properly tensioned I still hear some slapping at times within the
masts. This is most likely the wires that run up the interior forward sections of the masts
slapping back and forth as the boat pitches, rather than the sails themselves. I have been
a little worried about wire chafe from this slapping but I am unsure what steps to take to
resolve it. Anybody else have suggestions on this?

I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary Silver

Hello fellow Amel sailors,

I own a SM #266, but do not have any of the (Amel)manuals for her.

Question:
Recently when the sails are furled I can hear the rolled up mass
gently banging against the inside of both the main and mizzen
masts. I would like to know how to tighen the internal rig to make
the (I don't know the correct name) aluminum tube that the sail is
hanked to tighter to stop the banging. On the main mast Stbd side
there is a fixture that is on a slide. There is a line on it that
goes through the mast and to a winch. Is this where I get the
desired tension? What is the correct tension? How about the mizzen?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tony
WORLD CITIZEN
SM #266