I would only add that turning a sixth of a turn (or two) will let you put the securing plate back to its previous location.
The adjustment is not so accurate...

Olivier

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 3:21 AM, "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

As Bill mentioned a slight turn on the nut will stop your leak. I would have someone cut a short wrench for you out of aluminum plate. There is a photo on kimberlites section in the photos section.
You need a large wrench and there is a small area to work.
You just turn the nut till the leak stops and then align the nut with locking plate and you are done.
Repacking the rudder stuffing box is tedious as the packing is rather hard to remove. I used a flat screwdriver as a chisel to remove all 3 rings of packing.
I would suggest you get the packing from Amel as it is already precut, also a spare nut.

It was  suggested by dow corning  to use Molykote silicone grease  it is specially formulated for packing.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:58 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Stuffing box

Just tighten the nut about 1/4 turn and you will be fine

Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:53 PM, thomas.kleman <no_reply@...> wrote:

I own L'ORIENT, SM2K #422, currently in Bonaire. I have a very slow drip from the stuffing box that increases somewhat in sailing conditions. I have read every post twice regarding this topic and hope the "old salts" can shed some light on this. My nylon nut under the quadrant is secured in place by a siezing plate (two screws) so a small tightening turn would involve re-siting this plate. I'm due for a haulout in about 6 months.

My inclination is to give it a small tightening turn and see if that improves things. My understanding is that with some finesse, this maneuver can be done without removing the quadrant and attachments. Can someone suggest a grease or materials used in repacking this if/when it comes to that ? If a better approach exists I'm all ears. I'm aware that a lot of things get broken on boats when over-reacting to small problems. Thanks.