Re: Rigging Question

Ag Av8ter

-Thank you for your reply. That is an interesting thought. I feel
that the best way to remidy the problem is to have the furling tube
at the correct "torque" or tension. Thanks again for your reply.

Tony

-- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "alex_govett"
<alex_govett@...> wrote:

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@> wrote:
Tony,
My husband suggest you slightly unfurl the main inside the mast,
helps cushion it as well as having the correct halyad tension.
Happy Sailing
Alex & Trak
'Tirando' #228 SM

Tony,

Did you try tightening the outhaul when the sail ids furled?

Fair Winds,

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

#266.
was able to read and understand the way to change the tension
on
the
halyards (I do not have the Amel loop for the main). I was not
abale to find info on the (for the lack of the proper term)
furling
tubes. I can see by looking through the sail slot on the main
that
the entire furled sail is gently going back and forth as we
swing on
the hook, with the entire mass "slapping" the inside of the
mast.
When slepping forward it has the soft sound of doom, doom,
doom
as
it hits. It's the reference to DOOM that has me concerned!

Thanks again for the reply and I am all ears for for info.

Tony
WORLD CITIZEN
SM #266

--- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%
40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@>
wrote:

Hi Tony:

It would be a good idea to get the owners manual for your
boat.
It is full of very useful
information. Amel also produced a CD ROM that has the entire
SM
owners manual in it
and could be shipped to you easily for viewing on you
computer.
Just Email Amel at their
web site address and or call them and I am sure that you can
obtain the manual and/or CD
ROM from them.

The main and mizzen halyards are tensioned in different
ways.
The
mizzen halyard is
taken on the mizzen mast port side winch, then you release
port
side clutch where the
halyard exits the mast. You tension the halyard, without
load
on
the mizzen sail, until the
tack lacings near the furling gear box are taught. Set the
clutch
and stow the excess
halyard.

The main halyard requires a looped piece of line, originally
supplied by Amel and of the
same color code as the main halyard, that attaches to the
track
mounted car on the
starboard side of the main mast. Take tension off the car
with
the looped line taken to
one of the main mast winches (usuallly I use the larger lower
one), disengage the locking
pin, tension the halyard until the sail's tack lacings are
taught
and the locking pin engages
one of the track holes. Again is is important to have the
sail
unfurled and without load on
it (luffing) while you tension the halyard. This is all
easier
done than described. Amel
recommends that you ease the halyard tensions when the sails
won't
be used for some
time.

Even with the halyards properly tensioned I still hear some
slapping at times within the
masts. This is most likely the wires that run up the interior
forward sections of the masts
slapping back and forth as the boat pitches, rather than the
sails
themselves. I have been
a little worried about wire chafe from this slapping but I am
unsure what steps to take to
resolve it. Anybody else have suggestions on this?

I hope this helps.

Regards, Gary Silver

Hello fellow Amel sailors,

I own a SM #266, but do not have any of the (Amel)manuals
for
her.

Question:
Recently when the sails are furled I can hear the rolled
up
mass
gently banging against the inside of both the main and
mizzen
masts. I would like to know how to tighen the internal rig
make
the (I don't know the correct name) aluminum tube that the
sail
is
hanked to tighter to stop the banging. On the main mast
Stbd
side
there is a fixture that is on a slide. There is a line on
it
that
goes through the mast and to a winch. Is this where I get
the
desired tension? What is the correct tension? How about the
mizzen?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tony
WORLD CITIZEN