Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] "Must Have" spares and preparations

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Eamonn,

Congratulations. I think that you are mostly on the right track.

Here are my comments:
  1. You did not say where you will be sailing, so my comments are limited. If you plan to cross oceans and/or circumnavigate, you should have more spares than just oil and filters...but regarding filters, I assume that you have a racor or something before the engines...if so, buy 10 or 12 filters for it. You never know when you may have a fuel problem and yo do not want to be without plenty of these filters.
  2. I do have a second bilge pump ready to install. It is easy to install and I would not clutter the engine room and especially the gray water bilge area with a second one...keep the spare one in vacuum-sealed bag...like all spares.
  3. The most common failure for the autopilot is the drive unit, yes I would have a spare, but also, if you are crossing oceans, consider having a spare course computer, control head, fluxgate compass, and rudder reference if it is Raymarine and if it is something else, basically the same components.
  4. When older battery chargers and/or alternators fail, they many times cook the batteries...some way to easily measure the temperature of your batteries is important...possibly a digital instrument with an alarm.
  5. If you can find a 2-stroke it is lighter, but usually needs more repair than 4 strokes
  6. Your SM is old enough that it probably due for a motor failure, so having a spare is a good idea...I do not carry one
  7. 10 years ago we bought a 15" daylight viewable waterproof VGA monitor...this was before any other options such as HDMI were available...our VGA still works. We remove it when not sailing.
  8. ATN makes a storm sail that mounts on a furled genoa. I had one and was in a storm. Because of the conditions on the foredeck, I chose to not try to use the storm sail and used a small piece of genoa.After that storm (small cyclone that we were in for almost 5 days), I sold the storm jib.
  9. I have a second anchor that I have used once because I thought I needed it. I was wrong that one time and did not need it. You might need a stern anchor depending on where you are sailing. I used one in Galapagos, French Polynesia and at least one other time.
  10. 8mm is too small for a SM, you need 10mm. 84m will work almost everywhere, we have 100m. About 30kg would be appropriate so 65 pounds is not too big. I think the best anchors to use around the world are the "dragon-tooth" type. Examples are Wasi Bugel, Rochna, and Mantus...and there are some knock-offs of the Wasi in Europe made out of galvanized steel.We have a Wasi Bugel 30kg stainless steel anchor with a Wasi PowerBall swivel and 100m of 10mm galvanized chain.
  11. Your SM has many pumps and impellers...maintenance of these will probably consume most of your repairs. Do you have spares or back-ups?
  12. OK, I know the benefits of fresh water rinse on the chain, but is it really worth it. Even if you get 20% more life, is it worth changing what you have? I believe that there are other priorities.
  13. LEDs...do a lot of research here before you do too much. LEDs have certainly improved in the last 10 years, but they don't last forever, need replacing and need replacing on a 24VDC boat more than a 12VDC boat...unless you plan to install voltage regulators and that could be a big and expensive job. LEDs just don't like voltage over 27 volts and when your batteries are charging with your engine alternator, you will have over 24VDC.
  14. I would but a digital laser temperature gun and a digital battery tester which tests your house and starting batteries for load and shorts.
  15. There is an Excel workbook in the files section of the spares we have for a circumnavigation...it is a little out of date, but may help you.
Hope this helps you...

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 9:56 PM, eamonn.washington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi

I bought a SM this Spring and intend to set off for a few years when I retire early in a year.  What essential jobs should be done while it is easy to get equipment and qualified installers, before departing?  I am "hands on", so when underway wish to do as much as possible myself, but before I go I have professionals available.

I spoke to Gilles from Karin Team in St Raphael, South France.  He recons that 2 "must haves" for a long trip are:
1) a second bilge pump, already installed and plumbed in, in the engine room, ready to be switched over to replace a failed pump.
2) a spare "drive unit" for the autopilot (not a complete second autopilot).  Just a few screws and 2 wires required to swap it in.

Any comments on that?

I will renew the 8 batteries (one pair already failed) to AGM 125Ah giving 500Ah 24V.  I intend to upgrade the solar panels, nominally 3X100W but one failed, to 2X Pan asonic N330 giving 660W (2.1m wide by 1.59m long). So with the excess power I could run the 1.8kw inverter more often to cook (induction hotplate) and make water.  Having read hundreds of articles here, I intend to install a fresh water anchor chain wash and forward deck hose connection (also because excess solar power means excess fresh water).

I will clean the 20 year old water tanks annually with the methods (chlorox for a few days) described in this forum, and install a Seagull or similar water filter with separate faucet for drinking water peace of mind.

I will buy spares for the Onan and Volvo for say 3 years in advance (oil filters, belts, impellors ... anything else?).

I do not intend to replace the 20 year old standing rigging.  It looks OK.  Is this sensible?  She did sail extensively for a couple of years, but at least for the last 8 years was only occasionally day sailed.  (I removed the plastic covers from all of them so the rain washes them.)  Do you tension the standing rigging yourselves and if so, what brand of tensiometer do you use?

Switching all nav lights to LED, deck lights to LEDS, and interior lights too.  I'll also install extra LEDs in the cockpit.

I will install a new canister liferaft built into the guardrails, as neither my wife nor I are particularily strong.  For the same reason I got rid of the heavy 4 stroke outboard with the intention of replacing it with a lighter one, eg 2 stroke ... what do you suggest?  It must be light and easy to start.  I was advised against electric outboards.

One spare Gilles also suggested is a motor, in case eg the outhaul motor fails (ie cleaning the carbon dust does not fix it).  Have these motors ever failed beyond repair?

In terms of electronics I already bought a computer with Maxsea.  But I would somehow also like to have a screen in the cockpit.  How do you guys set that up (e g wifi or hdmi cable from the computer) or do you find chartplotters better?

The SM I have has no storm sail and no way of rigging one provided so far.  I was thinking of simply attaching the storm jib head to a spare halyard from the top of the mast and the storm jib foot to the center cleat; would that be sufficient?

Is 80m chain sufficient?  I have a Spade S140 anchor and the second anchor (with 8m chain) is a 60lbs CQR (unfortunately).  Do you ever actually need to use 2 anchors?  Should I replace the CQR?

Oh, and clean the diesel tank.

Thanks

Eamonn

SM 151, Travel Bug