Re: Cleaning Anchor Chain

Gaffney, Drew <drew.gaffney@...>

Duane_Peg,
You mentioned lots of sea grass in the locker and that your chain had 3' of rust at long intervals.  Perhaps the former retained seawater and the latter, piled in a heap, rusted at the part resting in the moist sea grass?
It's a good idea to avoid anything except chain going into the locker.  Sea grass, kelp, and mud eventally spoil, smell, and cause your chain to rust.
The anchor wash pump isn't very powerful and the "nozzle" is easily damaged.  Does your anchor wash work?
We have a high pressure sea water pump in the engine room: the switch and hose connection are in the stbd aft cockpit locker.  That washer system is very handy when the anchor wash is insufficient to clean the chain.  (It's also nice for cleaning the aft deck and fishing table after a nice catch has been cleaned.
Finally,it's worth emphasizing two aspects of re-galvanizing the chain.  First, if they can't "spin" it, you'll get many stiff links which will jam the chain coming from the locker.  Secondly, personally supervise or do the splicing of the 3-strand rode and the anchor chain.
When we bought our boat, the owner had the chain regalvanized and the marina re-installed it.  Acutally, they put the chain back into the locker disconnected.  Sliding into the locker, I could see the rode well-attached to the U-bolt and the end of the chain buried under 80m of chain.  It was quite a shock to have finally escaped a gale by anchoring in a small bay near French Pass, NZ, only to watch the chain run out into 25m of murky mussel-farm water...  (Hopefully, you'll never need "Techniques for lost anchor recovery.")
Welcome to the Amel group.  You'll enjoy it.
Drew and Lili
S/Y Revelation SM2K390
Lying Rebel Marina, Norfolk VA