Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] The Survey

Stephen Davis

Jay...Bill is right on in his summary. Do yourself a favor and walk away.

Steve,
Aloha SM72

On Nov 28, 2015, at 11:13, 'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jay, you are about 50-100k light in your estimate. I know that you don't want to hear it, but it is going to cost you twice your estimate. In the end you will have an Amel that no serious buyer of Amel will ever buy from you.

So, you asked and I am going to tell you that you are absolutely wrong. That boat is worth less than zero.
  1. New wiring called for in the survey, batteries, generator cannot be done for less than $15,000, and that is assuming the battery chargers, alternators and battery monitor is working...you should plan on $25,000
  2. Is the cargo ship free? Plan $10-20k, you will need hauling to from, cradle, loading, insurance (how are you going to buy ins for that boat? The cargo carrier will insist on it).
  3. What is the condition of the motor? Plan on a new one
  4. What is the condition of the transmission? Plan on a new one
  5. You failed to mention a single pump, do you know how many are on the boat? Add $3,500
  6. What about the rigging? Add $5,000
  7. What about running rigging? Add $3,000
  8. What about sails? Add $6,000
  9. I am surprised that you can get a full set of electronics for $5,000 - plan $15,000
  10. What about insurance and storage while you are doing the work? Add $500/month for 3 years = 18,000
  11. By your own math you will have $150,000 in this boat not including the things above.
  12. Even if you do a huge amount of the labor, you are going to have $200,000 to 250,000 and you will own a boat that has been De-Amel'd and has serious structural damage in its history.
Why would you put yourself and others around you through so much crap and unknown crap when you could own a real Amel for less?

I do not get it.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 1:48 PM, J Wagam jwagam@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

All,

I really appreciate the feedback. I would be interested to know if this is the same boat that has been sitting per your last note. The owners are on the island and have reportedly been sailing the boat up until earlier this year. Other than that, I am not dissuaded. I am looking for a project boat with "good bones." At $80K this boat seems like a great candidate.

My rationale is that I can replace all the systems and know what I have. Every boat I have owned has hidden secrets that need to be fixed. On any boat I buy, the seacocks, electronics and all rigging will need to be replaced. I also would prefer to wire new LED on my own. The biggest concerns I have from the survey are the engine and headliner. There was a jug of used oil tipped over next to the motor and I thought that may have leaked into the bilge.

Without any major surprises, the plan would be to get it to Delaware (where I live) by cargo ship then put about $40K in parts into her and $20K of professional labor (like riggers). My labor is free. A quick punch list with WAG costs:

  1. Rewire any poor areas and install LED, GFI & USB plugs throughout, and smoke/CM alarms, new 12v system with solar and wind (maybe a genset) ($10,000 or $15,000 with genset)
  2. Seacocks and hoses ($3500)
  3. Refinish sole ($2000)
  4. Scrape hull, repair previous damage, barrier coat ($1500)
  5. Paint deck and topsides ($5000)
  6. New countertops in kitchen and bath ($1000)
  7. Install composting heads and small blackwater tanks for "wet" ($4000)
  8. Replace refrigerator with top loader ($2000)
  9. Fix all issues on survey (big ones like steering gear are concerning) ($3000)
  10. Pull shaft, replace everything back to transmission, feathering prop ($5000)
  11. New electronics ($5000)
  12. New rigging (TBD)
  13. Headliner (??)
  14. HVAC ($3000)
  15. Replace motor furling with manual.... maybe (I know - don't unamel and amel) ($5000)
  16. Windvane (if I can find a used one)
The boat's interior wood is in mostly good shape. For a 30 year old boat I was actually very happy with the few soft spots and mostly dry hull.

Cheers
Jay

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM, flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Jay,

I purchased a 1992 SM in Guatemala in early 2014. It was in far better condition than the boat you are looking at, and had some newer equipment such as new sails and standing rigging.  With that said, it required a fairly serious refit, and a lot of updating. We sailed her to Florida a few weeks after the purchase, and I spent more than a year doing most of the refit myself. It was a lot of work, and a lot of money, but we have a very nice finished product, and have recently arrived in Puerto Rico with the boat. At the end of the day, we now have a nice boat, but I could not sell her for what we have invested. The benefit is that I learned a lot about the boat during our refit, she has mostly new and updated equipment, and we intend to sail her for 10 years, which makes me less concerned with immediate resell value

The boat you are looking at makes me feel tired and broke just thinking about bringing her up to speed. I guarantee you that their will be a lot so serious problems which the surveyor did not find. This boat is not a good investment in your time or money. You can find a better deal if you keep looking, and if it were me, I'd run not walk away from this boat.

Best of luck with finding the right boat.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Fajardo, Puerto Rico