Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

Andrew & Kate Lamb

One our SM the plug is just behind the bulkhead on the starboard side in the lazarette in the well where the outboard propeller tends to sit when it is in the lazarette – it is just above the waterline and allows drainage of the lazarette. The plug had a plastic vertical fin to hold to turn, but we found this twisted off and so we fixed a piece of wood screwed from above to give a better hold of the plug. I think someone mentioned in a previous post they found that water came in from around the bolts holding the bumper on when under way and so they re-seating the bumper with sealant which cured the problem.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2015 5:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] aft lazarette hull plug

I'm getting some leakage into the aft lazarette (several quarts over a two month period). I saw some discussion here a few months ago (and can't find it now) about a drain plug on the starboard side in the aft lazarette.  There is a round "thing" that is likely the plug on stb. and near the forward bulkhead.

How does one go about replacing it?  Is this a spare part from Amel?

Why would Amel put a drain plug below the water line? 

Duane
Wanderer -  SM#477

by the way I was curious about the origin of the name "Lazarette", and this is from Wikipedia:

The name derives from the biblical story of "Lazarus". On the old square-rigged sailing ships it was located in the bow of the ship. The original purpose was to store the bodies of important passengers or crew who had died on the voyage, (lesser seamen would be buried at sea). It was a large locker obviously, and was situated at the bow in order that the stench of rotting flesh was blown away from the vessel rather than across the decks. (The wind cannot come from the front of the ship whilst sailing.) All that remains from these origins is that it is still generally the largest locker on a boat, and it's still known as the "Lazarette".

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.