Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Kent,

I think that you have two issues. Heating element and wrong wiring.I agree with Eric that there is leakage between the green yellow A/C wire and one of the hot wires. And it also sounds like exactly what has happened to several others when the power cord head is wired wrong in the US. Carefully look at this:
and this:

A few things that have not been discussed so far in this thread:
  1. When the heating element needs replacing, it will not continually throw a ground fault. In the beginning of a failure, tiny holes develop in the heating element that allow water inside only when it becomes very hot and the water around it is very hot. You probably need a heating element replacement if it has been 3 or more years since you replaced it.
  2. Do you have any devices ON (connected) while all of the breakers are off such as an isolation transformer? If so, look at it for incorrect wiring.
  3. I am thinking that the wiring from shore power plug through to the 220VAC panel is faulty, or maybe the pedestal is wired wrong.
Bill
BeBe 387

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am on a U.S. 220v 50 amp pedestal.  The plug is wired as you suggested, leaving the white lug unused.
I know that U.S. 220AC is comprised of two 110AC legs.  I'm wondering, since the voltage between the brown wire and the bonding system is almost exactly half of the 244 v AC, is it possible that one leg of the shore power is touching the bonding system somewhere?  That wouldn't explain the 72vAC I see when running the generator disconnected from shore power.

I also looked for AC current using the reference electrode in the water and the bonding system and got 0 VAC connected to shore power and with all A/C and the water heater breakers turned on.  I don't know if that is even a legitimate test.

Kent

On Nov 30, 2015, at 8:17 PM, kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

If you are plugged into a 50 amp US outlet at the dock i assume you did not hook up the white lug in the plug to anything.

I believe the brown wire should go to the red lug and the blue to the black lug. the yellow green to the green lug.

If I am not mistaken you will still have about 10 volts between the ground and the power lugs in the plug--as the ground and the white neutral are essentially the same.

I think somewhere on your boat there is leakage between the green yellow A/C wire and one of the hot wires.

I am doing this from memory as I am not near the boat.

Eric

sm 376 kimberlite.