From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of amelliahona
Sent: 01 September 2006 16:06
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel 54 - Electronic Options

Martin Queried:
" 7. Has anyone any experience of fitting/using the Probe forward
scanning sonar depth sounder.> Regards, Martin"
Martin:

I had Amel install the Interphase TwinScope on my SM2000 Hull # 335 in
2001. They installed the display for the TwinScope but would only
install the forward scanning transducer (scans from straight forward to
down 90 degrees is a 3 degree beam width). It was Amel's contention
that the dual transducer was too large and would cause bubbles that
would interfere with the B & G sonic speed transducer system. This was
a legitimate concern. I subsequently installed the side-to-side
(individual) transducer behind the transducer that Amel installed and
ran the appropriate wiring. I was nervous about the bubble issue but
the system has worked well and I have seen no interference with the
sonic speed in this configuration (two separate transducers). You must
install the second transducer so that the curve of the bow allows it not
to "see" the forward scanning transducer.

I must admit that I seldom use the side-to-side mode as I find it a bit
hard to interpret and there aren't many coral heads in the areas that I
am cruising.

I will post a picture of the installation in the photo's section.

Best regards, Gary "Liahona"

Yahoo! Groups Links