Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis

karkauai

Thanks, it's Tom isn't it?
Actually, my understanding is that U.S. 220 shore power passes through the system unaltered, with the brown and blue wires each carrying 110VAC.  That's what I'm seeing at the A/C water pump, 120vAC from either the brown or the blue wire to the green/yellow wire, and 240vAV from the brown to the blue wire.

There are two issues:
1. There is a solid connection from AC ground to the bonding system somewhere.
2.  I'm getting 120vAC between the pump brown wire and ground, and between the blue wire and ground, but nothing between brown and blue with all A/C units OFF at the 220 panel. Withe any AC unit on, I get 120 with either brown or blue and ground, and 240 with brown and blue.

I haven't checked it connected to 110vAC shore power.

I just found the Climma A/C relay box that turns the pump on when  any one of the three A/C units is turned on.  It's in the engine room just below the automatic switch that chooses generator 220 over shore power 220.
I haven't investigated fully yet but at first glance I don't see any evidence of a burned out relay.  I'm pretty sure that the pump gets its power from here, not from the A/C units or 220 panel breakers.  It could be a bad relay supplying power to the pump.

I'll know more after I tackle it again tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions,
Kent

On Dec 1, 2015, at 5:12 PM, peacock@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

I've been following this a little, which might be a mistake on my part. We have also had problems with the 110/220 shore power cords.

As far as I can see, there is NO WAY that you should be having 110 (or 124) volts if you are plugged into a 220V/50A except if the wiring is wrong. By the time the power gets into the working AC part of the boat, there is only a hot 220 and a neutral; the US system of two hot 110 wires has by then been dealt with. If you have 110 or 124, it must be coming from an incorrect wiring connection related somehow to your shore power. The wires come in through the cord, and then run to the box in the engine room where you can select 110 or 220 input. You might want to check that as well. Outside of a 110V inverter, an Amel should never see 110 (or 124) volts.