R: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] B&G speed

Giovanni TESTA

Ciao to all,

same problem about BG/Hydra 2000 (2003) sonic speed and  possible solution,

Analysis:

2 different BG technicians ( Italy and Thailand)  told me that :

_  it is very difficult to find the ratio failure. May be the sensor, may be the Hydra sw.

    More, also the depth sensor may have failure ( I had to rest it many time ).

_ after 12/13 years it is better to deep reset the Hydra sw because over data stocked.

   This means that it is working worse and worse in progress.

First solution: we have to send it to BG factory to deep reset it because the internal battery may be not enough to restart the unit so…a lot of money for an old toy. Any way without certainty to solve the problem. More the sonic speed is out of the market.

Second possible solution, (my one).

I assume that SOW is important for data navigation, also if we have SOG.

This is not the issue now, but I was often very happy to have both at the same instant or in a passage, or tide, or strait, or...

-          the Depth BG housing is by www.airmartechnology.com so it is easy possible to replace the depth sensor with airmar DST800 TRIDATA sensor ( speed, depth, temperature) No new hole.

-          The out put is NMEA 2000, no good for our BG ( not only old NMEA, but BG uses also different nmea sentences ! grrr ! )

-          So, if you have other navigation systems (I have FURUNO NAV/NET , but it works also with other old nmea units, not again with BG) it is possible to convert new data from DST800 to old unit with the little http://www.chicagomarineelectronics.com/Maretron_Manuals/Cabling_Catalog/AT-10_DataSheet.pdf to have a quick look at it. So I can see on my display/plotter the TRIDATA.

-          More, very important, I have replace the BG external analogic speed display with a SIMRAD display IS40 http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-GB/Products/Instruments/IS40-Display-en-gb.aspx  my one, or IS20.

It can read also the data from all units inside ( GPS, navigation ecc).

Conclusion, it works very well and I use the BG only for data wind. As soon as possible, I plan  to replace also the wind sensor ( easy to be corroded) and to give the BG to garbage. So you know also my opinion about this  very, too much expensive toy.

I hope this may help.

All the best and Buon Vento

Giovanni TESTA

Sv EUTIKIA n 428 ( 2004)

Thailand

-

Da: amelyachtowners@...
Data: 2-dic-2015 13.49
A: "amelyachtowners@..."
Ogg: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] B&G speed

You are correct Bill. In my haste to offer some advice last night I did not word my comments correctly. If they are all B&G sensors connecting to a Hydra system then it should work. Otherwise, something will be required to ensure signal compatibility to the instrument connection. The NMEA conversion is out of the Hydra (as I have on my 2000), or separately after it.
Thanks

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:32 AM, "'Bill & Judy Rouse' yahoogroups@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

B&G paddle-wheel input is B&G proprietary, not NMEA.

If it is B&G compatible, it connects to the same input on the B&G processor as the Sonic Speed. If it is not B&G proprietary, there may be a translator black-box...If there is Tinley Electronics will know. Sarah Pidgley tinley.net>. If not, Tinley does sell a black box that converts GPS NMEA SOG to B&G SOW.

Bill
BeBe 387

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 2:48 AM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

How did you connect the paddle wheel unit? Is it NMEA 2K? What make? The sonic speed was NMEA 0183 and they are not interchangeable, assuming you have a B&G Hydra system.
Jamie
s/v Phantom

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:43 PM, "pjn.mccallin@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

My sonic speed has given up the ghost have fitted paddle wheel drive. On first test no speed showing on cockpit display, any ideas please, should I have to recalibrate to tell the "brains" of the change. Electronice drive me round the twist but no local expert to hand. Thanks in anticipation