Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

By the way, as you know I have been unable to start my engine since I left Florida in June. Today my outfit of choice here in Annapolis (Bay Shore) finally agreed to help and ran a whole bunch of engine tests (verified the pressure sensor, crank sensor, and injectors, etc.). After much head scratching, it appears that raw water from the exhaust system has been slowly migrating back into the intercooler, thereby injecting salt water into the intake manifold. Over time, that has likely caused valve seat damage, piston damage, and even cylinder wall damage. Without taking the engine apart we cannot prove that, but there are salt crystals and corrosion at the mixer fittings adjacent to the turbo. It should be dry. My mechanic (this time a really good one who really investigated the problem) felt the exhaust hose was mounted too high with a lot of resistance. He also felt the muffler was too small, and the type installed is apparently prone to backup over time. I don't blame anyone really, but it is a lesson learned (although an expensive one for sure).

I will be installing a new engine and addressing the installation issues to ensure this sort of thing does not happen again. We will be installing a "drum type" Vetus muffler with a short exhaust hose directly to the outlet on the port side. The one that loops up and over the engine wall is not good. Not sure if you want to investigate your's, but I can see how water could "bounce" back into the engine if the exhaust system is not breathing freely.

On Friday, November 20, 2015 7:34 PM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Portside is just before Jabins

Ric Gottschalk
Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On Nov 20, 2015, at 5:26 PM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I will try again on Monday. There was no answering system.

I am in Annapolis at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard

Thanks Ric,
Jamie Wendell

On Friday, November 20, 2015 4:50 PM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

His email is portsidemar@... and the number is 410-263-3302. Someone not always in office, but you can leave a message. Email me directly and I I will help. Where is your boat?