Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

James Wendell <ms42phantom54@...>

By the way, as you know I have been unable to start my engine since I left Florida in June. Today my outfit of choice here in Annapolis (Bay Shore) finally agreed to help and ran a whole bunch of engine tests (verified the pressure sensor, crank sensor, and injectors, etc.). After much head scratching, it appears that raw water from the exhaust system has been slowly migrating back into the intercooler, thereby injecting salt water into the intake manifold. Over time, that has likely caused valve seat damage, piston damage, and even cylinder wall damage. Without taking the engine apart we cannot prove that, but there are salt crystals and corrosion at the mixer fittings adjacent to the turbo. It should be dry. My mechanic (this time a really good one who really investigated the problem) felt the exhaust hose was mounted too high with a lot of resistance. He also felt the muffler was too small, and the type installed is apparently prone to backup over time. I don't blame anyone really, but it is a lesson learned (although an expensive one for sure).

I will be installing a new engine and addressing the installation issues to ensure this sort of thing does not happen again. We will be installing a "drum type" Vetus muffler with a short exhaust hose directly to the outlet on the port side. The one that loops up and over the engine wall is not good. Not sure if you want to investigate your's, but I can see how water could "bounce" back into the engine if the exhaust system is not breathing freely.

On Friday, November 20, 2015 7:34 PM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Portside is just before Jabins

Ric Gottschalk
Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On Nov 20, 2015, at 5:26 PM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I will try again on Monday. There was no answering system.

I am in Annapolis at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard

Thanks Ric,
Jamie Wendell

On Friday, November 20, 2015 4:50 PM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

His email is portsidemar@... and the number is 410-263-3302. Someone not always in office, but you can leave a message. Email me directly and I I will help. Where is your boat?
Ric
SN24 Bali Hai Hartges Yacht Yard,
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2015 3:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

Well I tried both numbers. The 263-3300 gives me "The Soccer Court." The other never picks up.
Not sure?
Jamie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 2:58 PM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

He is in Annapolis 410-263-3300 Chri Oliver Jr or CO2 on Edgewood Road 
Cheers!

Ric Gottschalk
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On Nov 20, 2015, at 1:38 PM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Ric, I just called them, at least I think this is the Portside Marine you are referencing.
They do not support Volvo Penta diesels - only gasoline. Plus they are in Massachusetts and I am in Maryland.
Thanks for the tip though.
Do I have the wrong outfit?
Jamie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 1:31 PM, "James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have not. I will do so right now.
Thanks,
Jamie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 9:09 AM, "Ric Gottschalk ric@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I assume you contacted Portside Marine. Yes, he is busy, but he is your best answer and a perkins/volvo pro. 
Bali Hai Annapolis

Ric Gottschalk
Office 410-923-5800
Fax 410-923-5802

On Nov 20, 2015, at 7:40 AM, James Wendell ms42phantom54@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Trevor, that is quite a story. When I arrived in Annapolis in June, there were many severe thunderstorms and they went on for weeks as I recall. In fact we passed through a really bad one on our way up the Chesapeake and had to "tread water" for several hours until it passed. We were not hit fortunately.

I left the boat for a week when we arrived, so I suppose it is possible the boat was hit. If so though, I saw no evidence other than that possible failed sensor on the engine. It does not really seem plausible to me - why just the rail sensor.

It is interesting though that several folks out there have experienced a rail pressure sensor failure (for various reasons apparently) and yet the VODIA tests found nothing wrong. The Volvo techs (good or not so good) should not have to systematically change out engine parts to find an electrical problem. What good is that diagnostics tool...............it is supposed to check all the sensors on startup.

A may just bite the bullet and buy a new sensor and see what happens. My only other path is a compression test and no one in Annapolis seems capable of doing that. Either they are too "booked up" or do not have the expertise. My current rep told me I would have to buy all the test gear if he had to do it - huh? If that were true I should just buy the equipment and do it myself.

Regrettably, I do not have a spare D3 in my garage.

Thanks,
Jamie

On Friday, November 20, 2015 3:31 AM, "seafeverofcuan@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Jamie,
         Following Tony Robinson's posting re. electrical storm. Is there any way that you can establish if your boat could have been hit by lightening after you left it?
I was sailing up the coast of Brazil in 2009 with four another Amels, there was a 54 called Togwin owned by a very knowledgeable  Frenchman.
Togwin suddenly lost all engine power during an Electrical storm and she was taken in tow by the rest of the group for 350 miles.
The owner well known to the factory, had a new Amel 64 on order and the factory sent out a Volvo technician from France to the Amazon basin.
The man arrived with every conceivable solid state part, meters, etc. and as others have posted, he methodically replaced each sensor until he got the engine to run.
I am not sure exactly who defined that the problem was due to lightening striking the stainless steel rails on the aft coach roof.
Regards,
Trevor

Seafever of Cuan
2004 SM 425 Redline
Mexico
For Sale
$ 295,000

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.