Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis

Alan Leslie

This is Olivier's previous post on this subject :

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering why some SMs have passed the EWOF and some haven't...
However, the generator neutral has never been connected to the ground on SMs and AMEL 54.

When the generator is running and feeding the vessel, the only way for the ground fault breaker to trip in case of a leak Live wire touching the body of a 230V equipment) is to have the neutral connected to the ground circuit (yellow/green wires network).
If some of you decide to have the generator neutral connected to the ground, they must make sure that they do it at the generator output, and, for instance, not at the main breaker in galley, or at the automatic solenoid switch output (in engine room). Someone in this thread wrote that it is mentioned in the ONAN manual.

It is not clear why AMEL decided not to connect the neutral and the ground on these vessels.
They are now doing it on the AMEL 55 and 64.
The rule ISO 13297 concerning 230V AC installations in leisure vessels states that the neutral from an inside generator (diesel generator or 24V/230V inverter) should be connected to the vessel's ground equipotential circuit. I guess the recommendations from ABYC are the same about that.

To be electrocuted while the generator is running, and on a vessel where the generator neutral is not connected with the ground, you would need to be wet, with wet feet touching a conductive part of the vessel that would also be in touch with the neutral of the generator AND there should be a Live wire touching the metal body of a 230V appliance. That can however happen when the vessel is flooded with seawater and you run the generator.
The risk of being electrocuted on an AMEL vessel is probably small, because the bottom of the boat is (should be) rather dry.
You can also routinely check (or have checked) the isolation of the 230V appliances (is there a connection between the Live of the appliance's cable and the metal body of the appliance? The answer should be: resistance infinite).

For those who are not familiar with electricity, I simply say that the risk is much bigger on land where the place where you put your feet is sometimes very conductive (wet feet on concrete or tiled floor).

I'm sure that the above will raise hundreds of questions, so, feel free to ask...

Have a good day and don't flood your AMEL...


Join to automatically receive all group messages.