Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

joseph mc donnell

I think that the big problem with volvo marine engines, is the move to the common rail design. Remember that their marine engines are a small part of their buisness, so their supply of base engines are now probably all common rail. Even in road vehicles there has been major issues with this type of engine (I know of one Toyota with a common rail engine, which had 2 engines changed under warranty and I've had to change one fuel pump in my BMW).  So I'm wondering if the common rail engines are really suited to a cruising boat with the added problems of the marine enviroment. If not, is there a  more traditional aspirated or turbo 110Hp engine alternative.
Joe