Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Yahoo changes...

Rick Grimes

I hit 'send' before I was finished with my message.  But you get the drift. The Amel forum is the single most incredibly useful vehicle for communications among Amel owners yet it sits on an archaic platform that makes it far more difficult (and frustrating) to navigate than necessary.  For one, why can't one simply link to a photo in the archives rather than having to leave "conversations" and navigate into the bowels of the "photos" library to find a photo and then navigate all the way back to the original message?

I don't have the solution; I'm just throwing the idea of transitioning over to a more contemporary platform only in the context of the implications of changes at Yahoo for the Amel forum archives.  It could be an opportunity to make it easier to access the wealth of knowledge and experience that resides therein...

On Dec 5, 2015, at 11:05 PM, Andrew Lamb andrew.lamb@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I would agree with a lot of that but receiving a simple text message can also be easier if you are in a low bandwidth situation.

I download and tried the yahoo forum offline tool - http://www.personalgroupware.com/index.htm - The trial version fairly quickly downloaded 4000 or so messages - I will try and leave it running and download the rest in the next day or so - the file and photos download didn't seem to work though. If that can be made to work then it would seem an ideal offline tool to have a local copy of the forum messages and would be very useful when away from Internet access. I note also that the creator offers a bulk discount - I wonder if they would give forum members a discounted price.

Also it looks like it exports all the messages and attachments in SQLLite format so it should be technically possible to transform this into a format that could be migrated to another forum.

Andrew
SM 472

On 6 Dec 2015, at 03:25, Rick Grimes rickgrimes1@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

If I were king of the Amel Forum, I would move away from Yahoo altogether and subscribe to a more contemporary platform--then migrate all the Amel forum archives over to the new platform.  I would look for one that allowed, for example, the ability to post a photo or video--or link to a photo or video --within a message. ("Here's a photo of the bow thruster breaker, Kent, located in the forward port cabin locker..." "Here's a photo of my corroded anchor chain. Do I need a new chain? Or is there a way to clean this up?..." "Here's a link to a YouTube that shows how to dismantle and serviceq the motor for the Furler

Rick & Linda Grimes
S/V "Rascal"
SM2K (#404)
609-932-2307
Sent on the run from my iPhone

On Dec 5, 2015, at 6:46 AM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I note it says  "download the fully featured trial version", which implies that someone would need to pay for the full version.
I personally think that the glory days of free internet are coming to an end, and seriously, why not, if it was me I wouldn't be providing all this stuff for nothing.
So, we need to find a way to archive all the stuff that is on this group to...a dropbox....or ???
I'm happy to put in the hard yards to do it, if others are...but we need a secure place to put it all
What does everyone else think ???
Cheers'
Alan
Elyse SM437