Fw: [Amel Yacht Owners] main out haul furling gearbox shaft

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

----- Forwarded Message -----

From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
To: "amelyachtowners@..."
Sent: Monday, 7 December 2015 6:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] main out haul furling gearbox shaft

Hi Bill I had that problem in Colon at the shelter bay marina. I decided to replace the bearings as preventive maintenance prior to the big pacific crossing. After I had spent ages trying I asked the boat yard to use a gas torch to heat the unit to loosen the shaft. Instead they sent a big man with a big puller and a big hammer. Result shattered gearbox casing and the shaft still stuck. Then they brought the gas torch and five minutes later the shaft was out. Lesson beware big man with heavy tools. Heating with a gas torch quickly releases the shaft.  As to the future greasing of the shaft...essential to prevent future problems, draw it periodically and grease it. I have found lanacote lasts best.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl