Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] main out haul furling gearbox shaft

eric freedman

Bill,

I use a long grade 10 (black steel) allen head cap screw . I install it in the bolt hole in the bottom of the shaft of the furler.

I then use a small sledge hammer-about 2 kilos and drive the shaft out.

It comes out easily now since I use anti seize compound on it twice a year.

The first time this did not work. I had to remove the boom, place it upside down on the deck . I supported it on weed dunnage and used the same bolt with a BIG sledge hammer. That removed the bolt.

If you look at Kimberlite photos you will see how it was done.

I also added grease ports to the gear boxes and genoa furler. I tapped them with a 5mm metric tap and used nylon bolts to fill the tapped holes. To grease it I use the autoprop grease fitting . One hole is tapped low on one side and high on the other side of the gearbox. I put grease in the lower fitting and grease it till the grease comes out clean.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376