Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Yahoo changes...

Andrew & Kate Lamb

I downloaded just under 4000 messages and then exported these and this created an sqllite file that was around 8MB, but I suspect that this is probably padded out and probably is a meaningless size. I was able to open this file using an SQLLite browser and therefore run queries on the messages.

The application itself is fairly clunky but does seem to work in terms of searching by single or multiple words in subject or body. Also messages can be ordered by various fields also.

More worrying are some of the comments from the developer who I asked about the file and photo download issues – here is his responses:

Yahoo continually make changes to their system. Unfortunately they make these changes piecemeal over geographic locations.

 What is changed for the USA may not be changed for Europe. As we are in Europe we may not see changes that just happen in the US.

Also from a forum that he uses to support his application he quoted this:

"Access to Group Files was finally restored, very briefly, for 1.5-2 hours at most, late this afternoon.

And then, as one ought to expect from Yahoo, they RESTORED THE PROBLEM.

Viola!  Files once again became inaccessible, just as before.  No files, no folders, no toolbar, it's all just vanished.

And other less busy Groups have fallen completely silent and are not even generating Digest emails.  So this does not appear to be some idiosyncratic little glitch affecting only Files and affecting only some few Groups.  "

So in short this tool was designed to allow you to maintain an offline copy of the forum occasionally updating it with new messages and files that you can also keep offline. However it is unsupported by yahoo and I suspect may allow us to export all the messages, photos and files from yahoo but probably will not be reliable enough to maintain a regularly updated offline copy, but it also sounds like no tool would be able to cope with the regular un specified changes that yahoo keep making to the sites.

Andrew

Ronpische

SM2k 472

Canet en Roussillion, France