Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Base for Tricolor & Anchor light Legrand 55152 55632

karkauai

That was about 7 years ago Mark.  The LEDs were a lot more sensitive to voltage then.  I wired both thru the same stabilizer and added a toggle switch on the panel above the watertight door to choose between tricolor and anchor light.   I don't remember the name of the stabilizer.  I'll be on the boat this weekend.  I'll post it then.
Kent
SM243
Kristy 

On Dec 10, 2015, at 5:27 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

I’m surprised I would need a voltage stabilizer. The voltage rating range for the unit is well beyond anything I could generate.

What did you use?

Did you convert both the tri-color and the anchor light since they share the DC neg?

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising: Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas

Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:51 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Base for Tricolor & Anchor light Legrand 55152 55632

I had to purchase a "voltage stabilizer" which guards against both high and low voltages to keep the LEDs from blowing. Since then, no problems.

Kent

SM243

Kristy

On Dec 10, 2015, at 11:36 AM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alexandre

I hope you haven’t purchased this yet. Our second unit inside of 6 months has now failed. The anchor light works. The tri-color unit lights up when first powered on and after about 2 seconds shuts off. I haven’t pulled the unit from the mast top yet. But, I do have voltage going to the connections at bottom of the mast.

I will be contacting Aqua-Signal for a warranty replacement, again. This unit is really a piece of crap. It is scary to think our safety is dependent on a product/company with such poor QA standards.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising: Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 11:05 PM
To: 'amelyachtowners@...'
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Base for Tricolor & Anchor light Legrand 55152 55632

Hi Alexandre,

I hope you are doing well. I see you are in the Bahamas. We are heading there in a few days. I hope we can meet. We will be going at it backwards and working our way from North to South.

When we purchased Cream Puff, it had the original Guest tri-color fitting. It failed after 15 years of being in the sun. When I removed it the unit crumbled in my hands. It was amazing it still lit up. It was also very corroded inside. We searched all over for a comparable fitting but I believe Guest is no longer making lights.

We replaced the unit with one I purchased from Defender: mast-top tri-color w/Anchor light Series 34 LED model 34706-7 http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C65136%7C2312550%7C2312561 <http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C65136%7C2312550%7C2312561&id=2113738> &id=2113738 This was a recommendation from Bill Rouse. I believe Amel switch to these units on later models when they installed the LED.

The unit will take 12 or 24 v. I used the existing wiring and just made the 3 connections. I cut back the wire to ensure I had a new clean connection. I had to install a new base for the new fixture. It involved drilling new holes in the mast top and tapping the holes for stainless steel screws (I purchased separately). At the top of the mast, there is a common neg and a pos for the anchor light and a pos for the tri-color. These wires are connected to the new base and the light unit plugs into the base.

The unit I purchased failed within a couple of months. Aqua-signal replaced it and even paid shipping for the return of the old unit. So far, the replacement has been trouble free.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising: St Augustine FL

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.