Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster motor repair?

Rick Grimes

Hi Pat! Yes. The estimate to service and repair was $2,400 so I figured I would use the bow thruster as little as possible until I could get some help and do it myself....but in retrospect, not a good idea.  It is a very good idea to try it again when I disconnect the shaft...but before I yank the motor...first week in January...Hope you have a Merry Christmas and look forward to crossing paths again!

Rick

Rick & Linda Grimes
S/V "Rascal"
SM2K (#404)
609-932-2307
Sent on the run from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2015, at 10:20 AM, Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Rick, As I related to you when you had your boat here on the Sassafras, and I inspected your bow thruster. I and the mechanics at Georgetown believed that the bearings were badly worn and the gears sounded rough. I don't think you had the bow thruster serviced and it probably has salt water in it. Is it possible that  they could have seized , not allowing the motor to turn . I don't know the answer to that, but I guess it could be possible. After you detach the shaft from the motor , why don't you try the motor again and see if it spins.
Good Luck,
Pat SM Shenanigans