Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] LOW ENGINE RPMS ON YANMAR 75

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Ben

Glad to hear that it was simply a prop cleaning issue which we assumed would be the case. You will love that engine we're sure as it is a good match to the SM. We have just discovered that none of our recent responses to this forum got sent from the new mobile phone so will answer your previous question again about what RPM's we usually run at.

When motor sailing we tend to run the motor at approx 1500 RPM's and 1700 - 1800 when motoring long range. When on a tight schedule we may run at 2200 - 2400 but seldom over this other than an occasional burst for 5 mins or so every hour at 3000 - 3300 or max depending on prop and hull cleanliness. Generally we tend to average about 6.8kts - 7.5kts but can do 9.5 when everything is clean and slippery. The good thing about that motor is the extended motoring range you get as the 75 HP Yanmar is extremely frugal but also simple to maintain and wonderfully reliable.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane, Australia

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A thorough prop cleaning solved my problem.  RPMs went from 1800 to 3100 and pushed boat to over 9 knots.. At next haul out in July,  I will  properly service prop.  Thanks to all for  solid  guidance on this issue .  

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Dec 6, 2015, at 8:02 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I can, after I rebuild it, but I'm very happy with my MaxProp and really just need a spare prop.
Either would work fin temporarily.
Kent

On Dec 6, 2015, at 6:47 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Can’t you use the autoprop with your new engine?

It is such a great prop.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 6:09 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] LOW ENGINE RPMS ON YANMAR 75

When I was told by Bruntons that my Autoprop was what they recommended for a SM with 100 HP Yanmar, I had my fixed prop (which a good prop shop said was also over pitched for my 78 HP Volvo) repitched to what was recommended and got good rpm  again.  The Autoprop couldn't be repitched, so I replaced it with a MaxProp...not so persnickety as the AutoProp.

I wish I'd serviced the Autoprop first, it might have saved me 1000's of $.

I still have the repitched fixed prop (which is now under pitched for my new 110 Yanmar), and the old Autoprop which still hasn't been rebuilt.

If any one would like to buy either of these (but not both) I'd be happy to sell it for about half price plus shipping.

Kent

SM 243

Kristy 

Karkauai at yahoo dot com

On Dec 6, 2015, at 5:20 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

On kimberlite I had a loss of engine power. I tried everything and finally decided it was the prop. I ordered the stuff from AB marine and rented the tools. When I hauled the boat everything seemed fine . There was no play in the prop blades and everything spun freely---What the heck- I rebuilt the prop.

That was the problem. It is hard to believe that a few thousands of an inch makes a difference in the Autoprop performance, but it does.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 4:22 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] LOW ENGINE RPMS ON YANMAR 75

Ben,

When I had loss of rpm with my Volvo, I had the Autoprop cleaned and even out of the water all the blades spun freely on the hub.  I know that the only thing I didn't do (because I didn't know better, was to have the prop serviced.  Others have said that solved their problem.  If its been awhile since it was serviced, I'd do that even if the blades spin freely.

Kent

SM 243

Kristy 

On Dec 6, 2015, at 5:54 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks.   I'm diving the boat today .. It seems most feel prop is most likely.  If not, I'll move through all suggested fixes 

Thanks 

Ben Driver 

SM 347

La Bella Vita

Ben Driver

On Dec 4, 2015, at 12:20 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello Ben,

I have a Volvo TDM 22 but diesels are diesels…

I encountered these symptoms on another boat… badly crusted propeller…

Other cause might be a faulty turbocharger.  Generally, we tend to baby our engines and this is not good.  I try to run at 80% or more power for 1 hour out of every 24 hrs of engine time.

Third possibility = a collapsed air filter.  BTDT.

Good luck.. at least the trouble shooting should be easy.

Jean-Pierre Germain,

SY Eleuthera, Amel Super Maramu 007

Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, Pontoon M15,

97100 Ragusa, Sicily, Italy
+44 7551 211 511
sy.eleuthera@...

On 4 Dec 2015, at 17:09, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I bought my SM in Feb 2015  and there are still many systems I need to better understand.  Most perplexing is I have seen declining engine RPMs since original survey.  Originally boat produced about 3100 RPMs (Yanmar manual says 3600/3800 tops - but I do know Autoprop may limit that number)  but has since declined to 1800.  Not sure why as engine seems to run fine - easy start, no smoke, no roughness at any RPM.  Racor and engine filters are new.  Manual shut off valve in passageway  is wide open (it actually will not shut off motor... but that's another issue).   I do have an Autoprop which was serviced well over a year ago - but not sure - by previous owner. Only other engine oddity as it runs very cold - never over 130F.   Boat has been in the water now for a little over a year with not much motor use.  Any and all suggestions would be welcome. 

Ben Driver

SM #347

La Bella Vita

Posted by: joedoakes66@...

Reply via web post

Reply to sender

Reply to group

Start a New Topic

Messages in this topic (1)

Visit Your Group

·         New Members 5

·         New Photos 14

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.