Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] LOW ENGINE RPMS ON YANMAR 75

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Ben

Glad to hear that it was simply a prop cleaning issue which we assumed would be the case. You will love that engine we're sure as it is a good match to the SM. We have just discovered that none of our recent responses to this forum got sent from the new mobile phone so will answer your previous question again about what RPM's we usually run at.

When motor sailing we tend to run the motor at approx 1500 RPM's and 1700 - 1800 when motoring long range. When on a tight schedule we may run at 2200 - 2400 but seldom over this other than an occasional burst for 5 mins or so every hour at 3000 - 3300 or max depending on prop and hull cleanliness. Generally we tend to average about 6.8kts - 7.5kts but can do 9.5 when everything is clean and slippery. The good thing about that motor is the extended motoring range you get as the 75 HP Yanmar is extremely frugal but also simple to maintain and wonderfully reliable.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II, Amel 53 #332
Brisbane, Australia

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

A thorough prop cleaning solved my problem.  RPMs went from 1800 to 3100 and pushed boat to over 9 knots.. At next haul out in July,  I will  properly service prop.  Thanks to all for  solid  guidance on this issue .

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Dec 6, 2015, at 8:02 PM, Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I can, after I rebuild it, but I'm very happy with my MaxProp and really just need a spare prop.
Either would work fin temporarily.
Kent

On Dec 6, 2015, at 6:47 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Can’t you use the autoprop with your new engine?

It is such a great prop.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376