Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Pat,
All the best to you and Diane for Christmas also. And to all you others in the Amel Family we wish you the very best for the Christmas season.
Danny And Yvonne
Ocean Pearl SM 299

From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, 14 December 2015 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

Danny, I thought it to be a long shot and I know you usually find water in the oil. I thought perhaps a flaw in the gasket away from a oil passage but getting to a cylinder could result in lost compression , but I guess it would still fire on the other cylinders. My understanding is that if the secret switch was off or faulty  , the engine would not turn over . Thanks for getting back, and Diane and I wish you and Yvonne a Merry Christmas !
Pat SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Sun, Dec 13, 2015 12:37 pm

Pat, I am no expert, I have just worked with diesel engines all my life. These weird problems baffle me too.With a blown head gasket usually only one or two cylinders are affected. With non electronic controlled engines with one the engine could start but be running on three. With two gone I would expect firing on the other two. Whether the electronics would make a difference I don't know. If the head gasket had blown during the last use (it wouldn't blow when unused) they would have heard the engine running rough or misfiring. Likewise with a warped head. Because of the sudden failure to start after a long successful run and no history of trouble I remain strongly suspicious it is an electrical/electronic fault. That's why I hoped a compression check could be done. The secret switch question highlights this. Does it have one? Is it faulty? Or is it a fault that mimics it.
We all feel for Jamie and I can see why he is leaning toward a new engine. I would have caved in long before now.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl

From: "Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Monday, 14 December 2015 3:23 AM

Danny, I am not addressing this to Jamie, because I feel sorry for all the questions that he has had to respond to over the last month or so . I also know you can probably answer this. Could a blown head gasket and / or a warped head cause an engine from firing ? I have not heard this suggested and was wondering . Jamie very sorry for your problems .
Thanks,
Pat SM #123

-----Original Message-----
From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sat, Dec 12, 2015 7:50 pm

I would love to hear the engine has roared into life before we abandon the thread. Like your occams razor Eric
Cheers
Danny

From: "sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Sunday, 13 December 2015 12:36 PM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Engine Problems Amel 54

Hi,
We have repeated this over and over again. A borescope would be good. However if the head is removed you can also see the valves and seats.
Seems like everyone agrees the head should come off. If I was there I am sure it would be at most a 3-4 hour job depending on how much other stuff has to come off (heat exchanger (possibly ) etc.
There is nothing to lose. As stated a few hand tools is all that is necessary. If the engine is totally shot—(Which I seriously doubt) just put it back together without gaskets and then change it.
The mechanics seem to be in a he said she said mode—how about some facts?? Do you know of

I THINK THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BEATEN TO DEATH.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:46 AM

I would absolutely agree....pulling the head is not a big job...and it lets you see the guts of the engine...maybe it is buggered...but it may not be...all you need is a good socket set and some spanners and screw drivers, and hours work...
A LOT less than a new engine !!
Almost any diesel engine can be repaired...they are the most robust means of propulsion known to man.
Give it a go !!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.