Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Head furling maintanence

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Paul,

Sand as much as you can off of the casing, then prime it with metal primer before using a top coat of epoxy paint. You should probably paint the gray color part at the same time. I have seen the gasket applied with some Silicone RTV (RTV Silicone (room temperature vulcanization silicone) is a type of silicone rubber made from a two-component system (base plus curative; A+B) available in a hardness range of very soft to medium). I would use a thin coat of Silicone RTV...not glue.

Are you staying at Yacht Classic Hotel Dock in Fethiye? If so, say hello to Bob Rossi on KAIMI SM 429. And be sure to say hello to our friend Banu, one of the owners.

Bill
BeBe

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM, osterberg.paul.l@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello!

I have dismantle the casing over the headsail furler motor, everything looked to my amatör eyes rather ok

some carbon dust that I vacuumed away.

Now to my questions:

The carbons protruded about 8 mm above its slot, assume that should be rather ok, no need to change?

The casing was sealed with only a rubber gasket, it looks as it has been some glue on one of the sides, as it is one of the most exposed positions on the boat I would like to know that I do what I can not to have any water to ingress into the casing, Shall I use the same gasket? add some special glue or ......

When dismantled, is there any other thing I can do to service the furling engine/Gear?

The case it rather corroded and most of the paint is gone, I though of put on some epoxi pant any advice?

Regards

Paul

S/K Kerpa SM#259 winter stay in Finike Turkey