Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Prop Shaft Electrolysis

karkauai

Hi Eric,
Yes, there are two cables and one small wire on the (+) and (-) poles on the battery side of the 24v switch.
*Battery cable
*24v charger cable
*"Permanent " wire for the
24->12v converter that powers the radio and retains its memory.

I have the same issue whether the charger and Permanent are connected or not.

I had an electrician come to the boat today from Savannah who does mostly galvanic/electrolytic surveys for a living. He spent several hours on the boat with me and checked everything thoroughly.  While he couldn't identify the source of the 24vDC between the battery (+) and the bonding system, he was convinced that it has nothing to do with my zincs disappearing too quickly.  There is no change in hull potential when this is present (battery switch on) versus absent(battery switch off).
Although the 24vDC does light a 2.5 watt bulb, there is infinite resistance when checking the battery (-) to bonding system.

He says most 53' boats with all the systems we have use 2-3 times as much zinc as we do.

While I don't like the fact that I don't have a clear explanation, I don't know of anything else to do but keep a close watch on my zincs and hull potential.

I'll keep posting as I learn more or find new issues that shed light on this.

Merry Christmas!
Kent
SM243
Kristy

On Dec 18, 2015, at 7:20 PM, sailormon kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Kent,

Possibly I do not remember correctly, but I thought there was an inline fuse just hanging from some a wire

behind the battery switches. I think that has to do with memory of the cd changer/radio. Just a memory from 13 years ago at the Amel introductory class. I wish I was on board to check it for you.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376