Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steaming light & mast climbing

eric freedman

I was told by Olivier years ago that the ballooner halyard is not strong enough to hold up a sail. I have since

Changed it to Vectran and use it as a halyard sometimes.

The best Halyard to use to go up the mast  is the spinnaker halyard..

I had mine made long enough to reach the primary winches when Kimberlite was made..

I attach a block forward , run it through the genoa block near the winch and use the powerful electric winch.

I use the Balooner halyard as a safety.

That requires 3 people to do the work.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 3:13 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steaming light & mast climbing

I think it would be easier to use the windlass. Just take off the chain and dont put too many wraps on drum. Zips them right up! Better yet get somebody in chicken harbor to go up. Use spinnaker halyard, 

Ric

Bali Hai SN 24

Ric Gottschalk

Kitchen Magic Refacers, Inc

Office 410-923-5800

Fax 410-923-5802

On Dec 20, 2015, at 1:57 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Joe,

On the main mast, I use the bosun chair and Cindy lifts me with an electric drill with a winch bit using the mast winches: http://www.winchbit.com . She will also tie off to a cleat every 6’ as she lifts. We prefer to use the halyard that runs internally inside the mast. This way my life is not dependant on a block attached to the top of the mast.

On the mizzen mast, I have no choice but to use the external halyard. I use a safety tether to attach to the cap shroud once above the spreaders. On this mast we use the power winch.

You can check to see if you have power to the mast by removing the panel outside of the forward head above the watertight bulkhead door. You should see everything labeled in there. If you have power to this point, you should have power to the socket.

Sorry, can help with the bulb size. But, if Bill Rouse said it, it’s most likely correct.

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising:  Green Turtle Cay, Abacos - Bahamas

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 12:55 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steaming light & mast climbing

Hello Amel Group,

Recently after a fairly rough crossing of the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas I lost my steaming light. I am now contemplating climbing the mast for my first time.  I have a regular bosun chair as well as a ATN Topclimber on board.  I am currently alone on board but in a marina and can get some help.

One of my questions is; Which of the halyards is best used for going up the mast?  I have two that I know of available.  If I have my halyards correct,,, one is the ballooner halyard I believe and the other is a spare halyard.  Again, if I have my halyards correct,,, the ballooner halyard disappears into the top of the mast on a pulley.  The spare halyard goes around a pulley that appears to be mounted & hanging on a stand off bracket.  I just had that line replaced in June and it would be my first choice however I'm not convinced of the strength of the bracket/pulley at the top.  The ballooner halyard seems a bet stretchy as well and is not new.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Now, in an effort to go up the mast as few times as possible I'd like to verify the bulb used for the steaming light on a 2001 Super Maramu.  I see from an earlier post from Bill this information:

If you are asking about a Super Maramu...
Navigation and Anchor Bulbs: 
Special vertical tungsten filament with BAY 15d bayonet socket:
Masthead (Steaming Light) - 25 watt
Port, Starboard - 25 watt
Stern 10 watt
Anchor - 10 watt

Which tells me that I should take a 25 watt bulb with me as well as various tools.

And now I'll go backwards to where I should start (in case it isn't the bulb),,, down on the deck and in the boat. Can someone help me with where to start the trouble shooting process before I go up the mast? I'm not going to say it doesn't scare me to go up the mast,, but on the other hand I would like to go ahead and do it now in the safe haven of a marina in case I ever have to do it away from shore.

Joel,, which halyard did Paul use for the survey?

Thanks so much,

Currently at Marsh Harbour Marina, Bahamas

Joe Nance

S/V CloudStreet

SM2000 hull #331

970-213-0331

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.