Heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold elbow on VOLVO

galacsea2000 <no_reply@...>

I would be interested in feedback from SM2K or Amel 54 owners (engines with Turbo, not atmospheric) regarding regular intervals for cleaning the heat exchanger and the exhaust manifold elbow.

My engine has 2500 hours and temperature remains constant at about 79 to 80 degrees C (never exceeding 81 degrees C at full throttle) but I was recently told by a Volvo mechanics that the heat exchanger should be open/clean every 600 hours !! Mine was never open, having assumed that, as soon as the heat exchanger would not do its job any more, I would see some increase in running temperature.

All comments most welcome
JP, the UN-mechanics