Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] SNAP, CRACKEL, AND POP?

Hi Peter, Welcome to one of life's mysteries. I first heard this sound about 25 years ago and have heard it on various boats in various harbours. I have yet to hear a definitive explanation for it, though the one that seems most likely to me is that the hull picks up and magnifies the sounds of lots of little sea creatures of some sort, be they worms, mussels or whatever.
Do let me know if you find the real answer! Ian Jenkins, Pen Azen, SM 302, Uruguay

From: "pjppappas" <pjppappas@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SNAP, CRACKEL, AND POP?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:58:47 -0000

When below decks I hear a sound that most resembles the sound of rice
crispies, or of someone popping very small bubble wrap, or sizzling
grease. I am tied to a slip, the hull has recently been cleaned, the
zincs are good, and I am plugged in to shore power. Thank you Peter
Pappas "Callisto" SM 369

Yahoo! Groups Links