Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Failed Dolphin Chargers

karkauai

I had the same thing happen a few years ago.  Cost me a bundle.  I think those original hoses are crap.  Have some good ones made with proper fittings and reinforced with woven stainless outer covering.

If there is to be any saving of your equipment, it will be by quickly disconnecting them, opening them up, and flooding with Corrosion X or something similar.  I got one charger and the A/C pump working again, one charger never came back.  Within a year or two the charger and pump failed.

I replaced mine with 2 60A Charles smart chargers.  I don't have an inverter any more.  I used it rarely in the morning to make coffee, and occasionally my lady friend used it to blow her hair.  It's easy to crank up the genset instead.
Good Luck,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Dec 27, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Germain Jean-Pierre jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ben,

Bad luck…. FWIW, I have both 50 and a 60 amp chargers and would not want to replace the redundancy they provide with a single unit…. but that is more personal preference than anything.

I am having new “proper” hoses made later in winter… too much cost involved when they fail!!

GL and Happy New Year.

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 27 Dec 2015, at 19:36, Ben Driver/YAHOO joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve.  By the way, did you need increase cable size with 100 amp charger or was original ok?

Ben Driver
La Bella Vita
SM #347

On Dec 27, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ben,

I can't help you with the trouble shooting part, but we have the Mastervolt 24v/100-3 unit, and have found it to perform very well. Also, at least in the USA, customer service is excellent.

We are in Fajardo, PR at the moment, but will be in the BVI some time in January. Hope we get to meet, and good luck trying to resurrect your old Dolphin chargers.

Regards,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Fajardo,PR

On Dec 27, 2015, at 08:09, joedoakes66@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

My high pressure Dessalator hose burst yesterday and filled engine compartment with saltwater (ironically, I planned on replacing hoses next week).  The original Dolphin 50 and 30 amp chargers shut down.  The 50 amp displays a temp fault and the 30 amp a fuse fault.  I suspect they are toast but not sure.  Does anyone know a routine I can follow to trouble the units?  I am not sure where all the fuses are for the units but do know about the ceramic fuse in the 30 amp.  It looks fine.

What replacement units would you recommend?  I thought maybe a 100 amp Master
Volt unit but not sure my existing wiring would support the current?

Any advise would be appreciated. With both units down, I need to move quickly.   I'm in the Virgin Islands so should be able to source an acceptable unit locally.

Ben Driver

La Bella Vita

SM #347

Posted by: Ben Driver/YAHOO <joedoakes66@...>