Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Glitchy starting Yanmar 100HP

Mark Erdos

Firstly, be careful cranking an engine that does not fire as the engine will pump seawater in but not out. It is possible to fill the water lift muffler and have seawater back up into the turbocharger and exhaust. Typically you do not want to crank for more than 30-45 seconds before opening the drain valve in the water lift muffler.

My initial thought is your starter is failing. It takes much less cranking power to start a warm engine. The fact the engine runs once started lends me to believe not much else is wrong. An aftermarket starter is available on e-bay for about US$60. I have a 4JH4-HTE and found this unit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-S114-815-S114-817-129242-77010-3JH3-3JH3E-18219-/271088089891?hash=item3f1e1bfb23:g:-CsAAOSwaNBUi3Um <http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-S114-815-S114-817-129242-77010-3JH3-3JH3E-18219-/271088089891?hash=item3f1e1bfb23:g:-CsAAOSwaNBUi3Um&;vxp=mtr> &vxp=mtr The unit is made by Hitachi model# S114-815. Do an ebay search for “Hitachi S114-815” and you should find one in Spain on eBay or Amazon. Buy two and keep one in your spare parts box.

The starter is held on by 2 bolts. It is a little tricky to get to. Removing the after cooler really helps. Don’t forget to disconnect the engine start battery!

Hope this helps

With best regards,

Mark

Super Maramu 2000

Hull #275

www.creampuff.us

Currently cruising: Green Turtle Cay – Abacos Islands - Bahamas

On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:51 AM, "svperegrinus@yahoo.com [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello,

Our Yanmar is no longer starting at the first ignition attempt. The problem began a few weeks ago, very intermittently, very light (it would start at the second attempt).

It now takes 3, 4, up to 10 attempts for it to start, when cold.

When the engine is warm, it has so far always started at the 1st attempt.

You can hear the starting engine do a very tiny fraction of a turn, and then stop. Voltage drops to zero on the voltage indicator at every unsuccessful start attempt.

This weekend, we installed a brand new Varta battery, as a precautionary measure (the old battery was 4.5 years old). No impact on the situation, which remains the same, or worsening.

Cheerio,

s/v Peregrinus

SM2K #350 (2002)

docked at Benalmádena (between Marbella and Málaga)