Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Glitchy starting Yanmar 100HP

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Thank you Eric, Trevor, Mark, Bob, James,

Yes, the engine fails to crank at all in most cases or cranks and locks up after a very tiny fraction of a turn.  If it cranks, then immediately the engine works correctly.

New development: start is now also now being glitchy even when the engine is at operating temperature, even if turned off for just five minutes or so.

Old development, now more curious: the red "STOP" button by the key not always turns off the engine right away when depressed continuously.  Sometimes must lift finger, make a second or even third, long attempt.

I have
- checked all connections I could and used contact cleaner, including the negative to the starter
- tried depressing the button on the isolation solenoid (our solenoid was replaced at La Rochelle 5 months ago).  Oddly, the few times this has been done the engine has started on the second attempt after depressing.  Could be entirely coincidental.
- not checked the battery neg connection on the engine block (located just forward of the starter) as I couldn't reach it and did not want to start disassembling
- not shorted the solenoid on the starter, as I don't know how to do that
- not shorted the isolation solenoid, as I don't know how to do that
- not able to check the square thing (solenoid?) forward of the isolation solenoid

We have ordered two starters from eBay.   One from Germany and one from England.  Three Yanmar dealers in Spain all asked us to call them on Monday, when they would begin to check if Yanmar Netherlands have any in stock, and then it might be 4 to 8 days.

Happy New Year to all,

Peregrinus,
SM2K No. 350
Stuck in Benalmádena until starting issues are addressed